Yesterday was World Smile Day. Ok, ok, so I’m just finding out about it. I’ve never heard of it, and chances are you’ve never heard of World Smile Day either. Is there not a “…day” for everything these days? But this, I deem worthy. And it is a thing. Or, it was. Yesterday.
And we’ve been going through some tough and messy parenting stuff (junky, crappy, yucky, unfair, exhausting, parenting stuff), and sadly, our smiles have been rarer and more forced, in general, lately.
So, when I was challenged to write a post about 10 things that make me smile, I thought it a great opportunity, because- “For the despondent, every day brings trouble; but for the happy heart, life is a continual feast.” Proverbs 15:15
There are many things that make me smile, but here are the top-ish 10 (really, I could’ve probably done a top 20), but,
Here Goes: and these are not in any particular order…
- Sunshine– Seems cliché, but it’s not a lie. There’s something to be said about getting your vitamin D. Sunshine makes me smile and warms my soul along with my body.
- My children. I dreamt of a houseful of laughing, loud, messy children. My dream has come true. Of course I’ve set myself up for a lot of work as a mother of eight. Physical, and emotional. And some days I struggle. But I’m also assured of as much joy.
- My husband. Especially when he brings me chocolate. Or holds my hand. Or walks with me through our fields. Or labors alongside me as a parent, a spouse, a life partner.
- Our farm. Another dream. It still brings me happiness daily even thought the future of it is uncertain sometimes.
- My Bible. A day begun without first opening my Bible, is a day I’m sure to struggle through. For whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction, that through endurance and through the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. Romans 15:4 It’s so true.
- Coffee. Black. Strong. First thing in the morning and usually again around 3 pm. Please and thank you.
- A good book. I don’t have as much time to read as I’d like. But finding literature that’s both inspiring and well-written is an investment in time worth making.
- Music. I’ve been known to turn it LOUD and dance and sing myself silly. But only when no one is watching (other than the poor children of course, who get front row seats to this cray-cray show every once in a while). And in the car by myself, anything goes. Yowza. Otherwise, you may find me a relatively reserved person.
- Get- togethers with family. I love my family. I love our times together. My family makes me smile, big time.
- Nature. Water, plants, mountains, animals, sandy beaches, rolling meadows, and forest canopies. Getting out into nature is like being next to God, for me.
Ha. Look at that list. Turns out I’m pretty normal after-all.
There's always a reason to smile. Find your reason(s) and dwell on them. Hold them tight in your clenched fist, and thank God for the good things he's given.
You will show me the way of life. Being with You is to be full of joy. In Your right hand there is happiness forever. Psalm 16:11